After booking many sessions the next question I always get is, what should we wear???
- Coordinate your outfits don’t match
Think of it as decorating your living space. You don’t want all black pillows on your black couch?? Right?!? The will simply blend together…you want something that will stand out from each other.
- Use colors and prints together
For example black and white print pillows on top of the black couch. Then for a third element you throw in some shades, a gray rug and a vanilla color lamp. You getting a vision??
Now image your family wearing these colors and prints. Dad in a gray shirt and jeans, Mom in a black dress, Daughter in a black & white print dress, Son in a vanilla color sweater and jeans. Ahhhh…..everyone in a different color or print….you feel like you can breath. Trust me before I knew anything about coordinating outfits, I myself made the mistake of wearing all the same color for a family photo. We all wore black shirts and jeans. My poor sister in the middle looked like a floating head….ooops.
- Accessorize with bracelets and necklaces, but don’t overdo it. For maternity and seniors layering is a great idea. A jacket layer can add definition and allows another layer of clothing to simply play with, for example taking it off throwing over your back for seniors or pulling it back to show the baby bump.
- Dress for location and season
- Keep make up natural and light
I’m all for a sassy pair of shoes, however they may make for a very long and painful session. If you plan on wearing heels, be sure to bring a pair of flats or flip flops that can help you get from point A to point B without any pain. You can just swap them out as you need to
- Remember to be comfortable and be yourself.
Now The Don’ts
1. Avoid the bright warm colors on the top for example dark red, bright orange, and bright yellow. These colors will cause a color shadow on the face that would be hard to remove.
2. Don’t over accessorize. Simple is better
3. Don’t set yourself in a time. Pick timeless clothes. That belly shirt may be in style now but come 10 years from now you will be asking yourself WHY?!?!
Now onto examples: